Friday, January 21, 2011

FIRST AID

Aaaaaaargghhhh..
Sore ini rasanya kacau balau banget!
Yap, today I’m going to talk about reality. Not a big event but it does scare the hell out of me!
This afternoon around 5.40 p.m at Sudirman station, about 1 minute before my train Sudirman Express arrived, a guy across my line fell and having an epilepsy. While he was down there, with seizure attacked him all over his body, people was just starred at him at first, some were shocked, until several seconds later (which felt like more than a minute for me) several people started to crowd around him. They began to nudge and call that man; that people, me, we didn’t know what to do. There was no paramedic at that moment, people was busy and aware for their arriving train, and most of all, we don’t know how to give first aid for him.
It was easy to talk about humanity and everything, but when we were faced with real problem, in such a dillematic condition, and what do we do??
I terribly regret my decision this afternoon. I, beyond many people, should have more thing for humanity, I am young, I can act fast, I should have just run upstair to the nearest watchman, and ask him to give first aid to that poor man. More than that, I should have knew how to give first aid in such situation like that!
And in all my way to home on the train, I can’t stop thinking, how if it was my mother who got epilepsy or heart attack, and people was just crowded around her with noone actually think about asking for help, or able to give first aid. When I began to think about it I can feel my tears fell down (perhaps it was more caused by my unstable hormones at the moment).

From this day, I SWEAR I WILL LEARN about how to give first aid for something like this!
I will find a book or whatever about these things that I should have paid more attention before. No more bullshit! Life is just more than that! I can make changes to this world by doing an ACT, not by talking.




First aid for epilepsy: http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/firstaid
Many seizure types-such as generalized absence seizures or complex partial seizures, which involve relatively brief episodes of unresponsiveness- don’t require any specific first-aid measures.
  1. Stay calm
  2. Prevent injury
    During the seizure, you can exercise your common sense by insuring there is nothing within reach that could harm the person if she struck it.
  3. Pay attention to the length of the seizure
  4. Make the person as comfortable as possible
  5. Keep onlookers away
  6. Do not hold the person down
    If the person having a seizure thrashes around there is no need for you to restrain them. Remember to consider your safety as well
  7. Do not put anything in the person's mouth
    Contrary to popular belief, a person having a seizure is incapable of swallowing their tongue so you can breathe easy in the knowledge that you do not have to stick your fingers into the mouth of someone in this condition.
  8. Do not give the person water, pills, or food until fully alert
  9. If the seizure continues for longer than five minutes, call 911
  10. Be sensitive and supportive, and ask others to do the same
After the seizure, the person should be placed on her left side. Keep in mind there is a small risk of post-seizure vomiting, before the person is fully alert. Therefore, the person’s head should be turned so that any vomit will drain out of the mouth without being inhaled. Stay with the person until she recovers (5 to 20 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-54344230-1